A Little Bit About Jen

I love information! Crave it to be honest. Always the explorer, I attempt new projects and tasks. As a result, I am decent in the following: playing guitar, longboarding (on the road), baking, home improvement, writing, web/desktop publishing, and now...motorcycling. Until the age of 28 I was a professional athlete. I threw things, very far. Due to my constant roaming throughout the United States, I obtained enough credits to be a medical doctor. Which I am not. However, I do have two Bachelor and two Masters degrees. It attests to my charm, not my early abilities in career planning. In general, I am young at heart, driven but laid back, and ever searching for self-awareness

Facing The Music

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent." 
-Victor Hugo

Music moves us all. It is part of our culture, our history, our own personal vibe. Today's teens will be annoyed with the music of tomorrow. Or at least a few will.  

My teen clients are encouraged to express themselves, to share their music (or anything) with me if they wish.  Some scan YouTube, others plug in their mp3 players. They nod their heads in rhythm, and check for my reaction out of the corner of their eye.  I maintain a "therapist's reaction" most of the time, but sometimes I let them know that the lyrics are tough to take.  Why?  Teens aren't idiots, if you don't react, they'll see right through you.

As a trade off, I also share my music. For many of my female teens, I compile a CD of songs to broaden their perspectives on gender, culture, race, and history.  And because I have a reputation to uphold, I keep the music pretty fresh. ;)

I assign it as homework, have the client listen to the songs, and we discuss the lyrics and their reaction to the music. I keep a copy with me to help the discussion.

This was something I tried to help promote self-worth, as well as increase a sense of history in a specific client. Loved it.  Here are a few of the songs I selected:

I Choose - India Arie
Coal War - Joshua James
Melody - Kate Earl
One Day - Matisyahu
She's Got Her Ticket - Tracy Chapman
I'm Feelin Good - Nina Simone
Shelter - Rolling Stones

0 comments:

Post a Comment