A Little Bit About Jen

I love information! Crave it to be honest. Always the explorer, I attempt new projects and tasks. As a result, I am decent in the following: playing guitar, longboarding (on the road), baking, home improvement, writing, web/desktop publishing, and now...motorcycling. Until the age of 28 I was a professional athlete. I threw things, very far. Due to my constant roaming throughout the United States, I obtained enough credits to be a medical doctor. Which I am not. However, I do have two Bachelor and two Masters degrees. It attests to my charm, not my early abilities in career planning. In general, I am young at heart, driven but laid back, and ever searching for self-awareness

Do we need a dunce cap?

At what point do we stop playing? I mean really playing? Uninhibited, undeterred, and free. At my agency, we transport most our clients. The pre and post session car ride adds an interesting facet to the therapy session. When we get to the parking lot, several of my little clients look for cars, glance at me, and then race to my car. The glance at me is sometimes a taunt, at others an invitation. "Come play, run, race!" Which I do. However I am not in the moment like this child. And I should be.

Children show us, everyday, how to de-stress.  They paint, write, sing, and create for the pleasure of the creation and the activity. They play for the sake of play, not to burn calories and fat. They dream, simply to discover and enjoy the realm their imagination.  Not to fatten their wallet or plan an agenda.


As adults, we smile at the endearing acts and statements of children, yet dismiss them nonchalantly. We rarely consider the child as a teacher, and we should.  I am adding a link to
Adora Svitak, a 12 year old who published a book at age 7.  She spoke at the TED conference, addressing the topic of reciprocal learning between adults and kids.  If you don't agree with me, take her word for it...I mean, how many 12 year olds do you know that go on lecture tours? :)  

http://tinyurl.com/y8s9v2w

 "We kids still dream about perfection. And that's a good thing because in order to make anything a reality, you have to dream about it first."  -Adora Svitak

0 comments:

Post a Comment